Friday, June 24, 2016

The Child I Didn't Want

 Do you see that child sitting calmly at a restaurant eating a meal with his parents?

 Do you see the other child walking slowly holding his mother's hand and going shopping?

 Do you see the other child doing a puzzle from start to finish without any help?

 It's hard to imagine life before kids, but I think the kids I would have considered the ideal specimens hold almost no resemblance to my actual children.

 Frankly, the kids I thought were "perfect" were quite boring.

 And also, fictional.

 The child I didn't want would be the one asking "why" when you tell her a rule (or almost anything).

 The child I didn't want would rather run around than sit and eat a meal at a restaurant.

 The child I didn't want would like to touch every item in a store, please and thank you.

 The child I didn't want would have opinions about everything and very much like to tell you what they are.

 Thank God for that child and children.

 We are still, obviously, getting to know both kids' personalities, but we know Orelia to be a firecracker and Bennett certainly has no trouble telling us when things don't go his way.

 I think every parent learns to love and appreciate their kids who who they are, and perhaps if I had a quieter, rule-loving child I would love that too.

 All I know is that I love my kids' spunk and vigor.

 I love their curiosity.

 I love their energy.

I love them.


Photos by the talented Kristin Dokoza.

2 comments: