Thursday, January 10, 2013

Starting Solids

Food is important to me and John, and he has been really looking forward to introducing Orelia to the exciting world of solid foods.

At our 4 month appointment, our pediatrician gave us the go-head to introduce Orelia to solids, but told us that at this point it's more for the experience of it all (instead of nutrition).

We waited until all the hubbub of the holidays had subsided, and on New Years Day, gave our girl her first taste of solid food.

Rice cereal isn't very "solid," but I guess it's more solid than anything she had eaten before.  I was skeptical that she would even know how to swallow, but John was confident she was ready.

Dad was right, and she had no problem eating.  She kept on going until she made a sufficient mess, and then wanted it out of her face immediately.

After three days of rice cereal we progressed to avocado, which Orelia definitely preferred to the cereal.

Can't say that I blame her - the cereal looked disgusting.

John and I prefer the avocado route too, since it doesn't require any heating or wondering "is it too hot or too cold or just right?"

So far my job has been "preparing" Orelia's nightly meals, and John has had the job of feeding and cleanup.  I haven't put a single spoon to her mouth yet, but I'm sure my time will come.

After she eats, we let her play with a spoon and make a mess while John cleans up the dinner dishes.  Making a mess is fun!

Since avocado, she's moved onto bananas, and perhaps likes those best of all.  I'm just happy she likes the two foods (avocados and bananas) that require no cooking.  Next up - butternut squash and sweet potato!

1 comment:

  1. What a good eater! Hope she didn't notice that her highchair had already been broken in for her :)

    ReplyDelete