Monday, April 16, 2012

I'm Never Leaving

It's safe to say we are absolutely enamored with Maui.  

What's not to like?  The scenery is beautiful and the weather is great.  We're staying at the Fairmont and love it.

Driving to Lahaina yesterday we happened upon a great fruit stand.

It also sold macadamia nuts.  I was really tempted to pick up a bag, but it seemed like a lot of effort.

They kindly offer to use their machete to lop off the top of your coconut for you.

Sugar cane!  Clearly this is not something the random person off the street AND on vacation buys.

Maui onions, of course.

I'm not sure if these were bananas or some form of plantain.  I'm sure they are delicious.

I almost bought a papaya but I seem to remember that they have a serious seed situation going on inside, so I passed.

I did, however, pick up some mangoes.  They are chilling in our fridge now, and I can't wait to dig in.  Since it's mango season here (or is it always?), there are mangoes in everything.  Delicious!

They also had a food truck where you could get smoothies.  John got mango strawberry and I got pineapple strawberry.  They were incredible.  (Our hotel offers "smoothies" too - except two of the flavors are Oreo and Reese's Peanut Butter Cup - huh?)

One of the great things about Hawaii is that you can actually trust food you get from a cart like this.  I can't say I'd be getting a fruit smoothie from a food truck on the side of the road in the Caribbean (especially while pregnant!).

So essentially, I'm never planning to leave.  This place is wonderful and really the perfect vacation spot.  My doctor did warn me that they can't guarantee epidurals on Maui b/c they don't have enough anesthesiologists...so perhaps we'll just move here after the baby is born.  We hope you are willing to come visit!

2 comments:

  1. Can I move into your hotel room?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got bad news for you... you've gotta leave... there's a baby on the way and that hotel room might get a wee bit cramped! :) Looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete