Sunday, August 25, 2013

Anika Visits CA

One of my best friends, Anika, came out to visit us a few weeks ago, and we had a blast mothering our two "big" kids together.  Last time when I visited her in Chicago, Orelia was only 6 months old and not nearly as active as she is now.  Orelia adored watching Arianna start a marching band, play with a jack-in-the-box, cuddle monkeys, and put together puzzles.  She wanted to be a big girl just like Arianna.

Sadly, they were only in California for a few days, but we had a good time playing in the backyard and visiting the local zoo.  It was fun seeing a two and a half year old appreciate the zoo, since we've only ever been with Orelia.

Anika has been my mothering mentor from the get-go, always offering support and advice on nursing, baby proofing, feeding solids, sleeping, discipline, and staying happy.  The advice I get from emails and texts is nothing compared to seeing her mother in person (which I've been lucky enough to see every six months or so since she had Arianna).  She is always patient and kind with her daughter and constantly tries to instill these traits in Arianna.  And Arianna is a sweetheart who helped calm Orelia with renditions of Old McDonald and Twinkle Twinkle and cuddled and played fetch with Harper.  I hope I'm able to raise Orelia with the same sweetness as Anika has done with Arianna.

John, Orelia, and I miss our fun visitors and can't wait for them to come back.  Two babies in the bath and around the house is twice the fun!

1 comment: