Saturday, December 17, 2016

A First Nutcracker


When we were invited to see the Nutcracker up in San Francisco by our friends, I was hesitant, but optimistic it would be a fun adventure.

The reality truly blew me away.  Orelia not only handled the show and the experience well, but she truly loved it.

I loved the ballet, too, but the real joy was sitting cuddled next to my daughter while she watched her first first ballet and her very first Nutcracker.

I teared up when she leaned her head on my shoulder during the Sugar Plum Fairy dance, as it was such a memorable moment for me - almost iconic in terms of mother-daughter dreams, really.

We had been reading the story of the Nutcracker every day for two weeks, and Orelia had so many questions about what the show would be like.

Orelia always enjoys an event better with a friend by her side, and she was fortunate enough to do this with one of her best friends.

They were amazed by the "palace" (city hall) and wanted to know which princesses lived there.

Intermission was a bit of a downer for Orelia, who mostly just wanted to get back to the action.

During intermission, however, we did run into the girls' ballet teacher (the same one they have had since the girls were chubby legged toddlers).  Miss Nadeen has been such an inspiration and mentor to them these past two years, and we are so grateful she has fostered their love of dance.

During the second act, after every dance Orelia asked "Is there another dance after this?"  When I would say "yes" she would reply with an enthusiastic "great!"

I am so grateful I got to share the Nutcracker with Orelia this year.  It would be wonderful if we turned it into a yearly Christmas tradition, but I know I will always remember this first visit with my starry eyed girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment