Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Election Day



 Today has been a doozy.  I don't think of myself as a particularly emotional person, but I have teared up multiple times today - and in relation to an election I haven't followed particularly closely.

 In California we can vote by mail, and when I received my ballot I knew I wanted to take Orelia with me to the polls.  I know my girl, and I knew it would be much more meaningful to her if she was able to take part.  I filled out the three pages of my ballot at home yesterday, but I saved the presidential race to do with Orelia.  We held the pen together and she helped me vote for whom I hope will be the first woman president of our great country.  She then proceeded to tell me she wanted to do it herself (not with my help), wanted to do more voting (filling in lines), and she was actually 18 year old.

 God, I love this kid.  She is truly destined for something special.  I tried explaining what a president does and how we have only had men in our country be president in the past.  I said that hopefully Hillary would be elected president today, and that there may be many women who serve as president after her.  I said that Orelia could be president one day, if that's what she wanted.  And she said she would rather be queen.

Orelia literally got to cast my ballot today, and it meant so much to me.  I kept saying I hoped she would remember this moment and this day (as I know I will).  In a way, I hope this day doesn't stick in her memory, because I hope she may see so many women leading this country and others that she doesn't give it a second thought.

I took Orelia with me to vote four years ago, and I expect to take both Orelia and Bennett with me next time.  There is something about being a parent that makes voting and the future of the country all the more meaningful.

I don't know how the election will pan out today, but I know no matter what, millions of people will be disappointed and even furious.  I am just happy I did my part today and cast my ballot with my girl.

2 comments: