Monday, September 24, 2012

Choices

When my mom was visiting, she pointed out to me that one of the hardest things about parenting is the constant choices you have to make - almost minute by minute - about how to handle the baby running your life.

Hmm seems she might be hungry, should I feed her?
Should I change her diaper first, or save it for the middle if she dozes off?

Did she feed long enough or should I try to get her a little more awake to see if she'll take some more?
How long should I try to burp her?
Is she fussing because she has to burp or because she's still hungry?

What should I do to entertain her during her awake time?
If she's getting cranky does that mean she's ready for a nap, or if I try to get her to nap that will only end in a meltdown?  

It's really amazing how many choices you have to keep making all day since someone isn't old enough to make decisions for herself quite yet.  I never would have thought making choices would be so much work, but by the end of the day I'm happy to have someone else make a few decisions about when to change diapers and how to keep our daughter happy.  I guess making choices is what parenting is really all about.  The choices I'm making now about diapers and naps aren't that significant, but overall the way we spend our time with Orelia is showing her who we are as parents.  I think so far we are passing muster, but I'll let you know if O tells us otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment