Friday, September 12, 2014

Indulgence - Last Few Days as an Only Child

This little lady has just a few days left as an only child.

She knows her baby brother is coming soon, but obviously a two year-old can't quite comprehend that significance.

Being with her this last week has been somewhat surreal.  I pick her up any time she asks and I'm the one requesting extra hugs.

I know that after my surgery, I won't be able to pick her up (at least with my doctor's permission!) for about a month, and this will be hard on us both.

We have been at home a lot, which has given us lots of time to read books (both she and I do the "reading").  She always has strong opinions over what she wants to read, and for the most part I'm trying to indulge her in that tenth reading of an idiotic dollar store book.  Maybe not for an eleventh time, but I can maintain my enthusiasm for a good ten straight readings.

She has become a Taylor Swift devotee - well, specifically to the new song, "Shake it Off."  She is frequently rewarded with a viewing of the "Shake it Off" video and is always mesmerized.

All of our friends have been gathering to support me and Orelia as we enter the final stretch, and the other moms have been especially kind to help run after her at play dates and sit on the floor with her when I'm not really capable.

She and I are so lucky to have such good friends around - always, but especially now.

Noni and Grandpa arrive tomorrow at long last, and Orelia is elated.  They will be taking care of our girl when John and I are at the hospital for the better part of a week and we are beyond grateful.

The temperatures have heated up around here, which isn't exactly ideal for someone who is nine months pregnant, but is wonderful for a little lady who loves to go in the pool.  

Since Orelia is close in age to all her friends, we have been hitting the birthday party circuit on the weekends.  

She has been loving all the extra play time with friends, especially her special baby friend whom she always wants to cuddle with.

He has provided her lots of practice for big sisterhood, and I am so grateful my friend lets her hold him, however unappealing this might be to a baby.

This weekend Orelia will visit two last birthday parties before her baby brother's birth day arrives.

A couple extra chocolate cupcakes under her belt and she will assuredly be ready to take on her new role as a big sister.

I have a feeling the chocolate and general spoiling will be continuing a lot in the near future.  Whatever keeps us happy and sane as a family will be fine by me.  I know I'll be needing some chocolate myself next week, so I certainly can't deny any to my firstborn.  

No comments:

Post a Comment