Sunday, July 23, 2017

With Time for Reflection

 My kids (and John) will be home any minute.

 I know this because John shared his location with me on Google Maps and he is driving back from his weekend camping trip with the kids.  (John being John and always using the latest Google technology).

 I've never had a weekend "away" from the family while not actually being away.

 Luckily I still had Harper to keep me company, but she isn't much of a conversationalist.

 As a mom, or parent for that matter, so many days just blur together and the hours stretch between every wake-up and bedtime day after day.

 There are so many wonderful moments, as well as many awful moments and many dull moments too.

 But there definitely isn't much time for reflection, at least for me.

 The work of raising kids is exhausting and takes so much mental and physical energy that it's almost inexplicable.

 It's almost like you have to live it to believe it.

 But this weekend alone left me time for reflection.  Lots of time.  So much time alone.

 And I missed John and my kids like crazy.  More than I ever thought I would.

 As much as I was able to enjoy some wonderful adult activities like a trip to the museum, a nice meal out, and attending a beautiful wedding, it still left me yearning to be with my family.

 I realized that as much as I crave and need these non-child-tending activities, and as much as they lift me up, I really want to come home from any outing and be with my family.

 John and the kids were almost unreachable for a few days because they didn't have cell phone reception, and I can't wait to hear about all of their adventures and give them all a tight squeeze.

 This family of mine is just that - mine - and I am so grateful for them.

With time for reflection, I think I'll keep 'em.

And I might just hold them extra close tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment