Monday, July 2, 2012

Officially Retired

I am officially retired.  Also known as unemployed.  

Friday was my last day of work, and it's all a bit surreal.

I spent many, many hours sitting in this chair and at this desk.  The past few months, sitting in a chair became especially uncomfortable, but that's pregnancy for you.

Farewell sad looking office building.  I will not miss you or your very small bathrooms and very cold conference rooms.  

I'm due exactly one month from today - on August 2nd - so if everything goes as planned, I will have a few weeks to relax and get things ready for our baby girl to arrive.  (Time to read The Happiest Baby on the Block and books of that sort.)

I only took a few souvenirs from work to remember all the fun times - many, many notebooks with my name on them (I left all the business cards, though) and several large binder clips that I fancy using as chip clips (they work great).  I suppose there are a few non-physical items I took with me - namely, friendships, experience, some understanding about DNA sequencing, and way too much boring knowledge about "the law."  

Once our daughter is born my new job will start, and I'll be off on a new journey.  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Not too long ago, I put my occupation down as "homemaker" ... and the woman behind the counter typed "unemployed" ... I was HACKED and really wanted to correct her. Alas... enjoy retirement! It's pretty wonderful!

    ReplyDelete